Saturday, July 5, 2008

Hug a Vet

Hello all. It's not often I let myself get emotional but with all the goings on this week, I think it was inevitable. A year ago right now my hubby was deployed and in, what I can only imagine, was the closest thing to hell on earth. I was hoping this year we could make up for how bad his birthday was the year before, and I think we did. But also this week was the fourth of July. Last year I saw the fireworks with my family and took pictures of them with my sister. I don't know how anyone could stand to spend time with me while Matt was gone, but I'm thankful for everyone that did. Especially both our parents, who weren't afraid to let me talk even if I didn't want to. This year we had decided to spend the day on the beach on base and stay for the fireworks at night. It was overcast but still SO much hotter than either of us could handle. We met up with a bunch of Matts friends and hung out for a while. There was a big festival on the beach with live music and hot dogs and lots of families spending time together with their marines. It always chokes me up to see a marine and his family. A year ago it seemed like forever until Matt would finally be home, but he's home now and I can't tell you all how grateful I am that he came home safe. In the end we decided to come home instead of sweat out the rest of the day to watch the fireworks. Especially since it was so overcast we wouldn't have been able to see much anyway. We came home and cleaned up, got some of Matts favorite burritos at los tacos and came home to hang out in front of the air conditioner. But since there was a big goings on in San Diego we wathed the fireworks on tv. They had a tribute to the military and played all the patriotic country songs that choked me up while Matt was gone. And well, still do. But I think this week has done a lot for me. We've been married for half a year as of last Saturday and I'm so glad that we are finally together. Okay, that's all the mush I can give you for now. We're heading out to dinner with some friends. Thanks for reading and all the support you've all given us both. Hope you all had a happy 4th and next time you see a Vet give him a hug. I know I will. :) Love you all. Sierra

My Family

3 comments:

Audrey Seymour said...

You don't get emotional very often????? Mmmm?
I had a sense of peace reading you post. Yesterday we sang the patriotic songs at church and even though I am not American, I was touched by it. Scott, well you know him, it's been patriotic week. EVERY SINGLE DAY. Oh my gosh.
Anyway I hope all is well and we will see you soon

Ashley said...

That was so very well put! I love reading your post and enjoying your pictures! I felt the same way you did while Matt was gone... especially during his birthday and the 4th. I defiantly like it a lot better when he is not over there in Iraq.
Love ya
Ashley

Reeders said...

Hey Sweetie! Great Post! I would be happy to hug a vet! It's amazing the way the fourth of July can make you feel sometimes. It's actually my favorite holiday of all! I'm absolutely proud to be an American and I'm thankful for the time that your husband has served (thank him for me will ya?! Can't wait to see ya!